Greater Rochester Area

507-282-4328

Twin Cities Metro

952-697-4328

Serving the Greater Rochester Area and the Twin Cities since 1988

The Benefits a Dehumidifier Provide your Home

 

Dehumidifiers take away excess humidity in your home, leaving you with drier air. This helps to reduce damp and the associated problems like mold growth and peeling wallpaper.

 

Molds need moisture to grow. They love the humid conditions found in most homes during this time of year. When the central heating is cranked up and ventilation is compromised by keeping windows closed, molds thrive. Dehumidifiers take away the essential humidity that mold needs in which to grow.

 

People living in homes with damp and mold are more likely to develop breathing problems, infections and allergies. Damp and mold is also linked with effects on the immune system. They recommend that particularly sensitive groups like the elderly and the very young, the immune-compromised and those with breathing problems like asthma should not be exposed to damp and mold. Molds are a widely underestimated allergy trigger. Mold allergy is a reaction to mold, which is associated with a whole host of unpleasant symptoms. Allergic people have reported panic attacks, wheezing, a runny nose and depression as a result of exposure to mold.

 

Dust mites are extremely common and are again a little-understood allergy trigger for many people. Even the cleanest homes harbor dust mites, which tend to lurk in mattresses, upholstery and carpets. These tiny creatures are microscopic; they don’t bite, but they can cause allergy symptoms in certain people. They love the warm, humid conditions that domestic environments provide. They need food (such as keratin broken down by fungi) and moisture to survive. They’re prolific in humid environments, so taking away excess moisture can really help to reduce the dust mite population in your home. Remember that you’ll need to combine this with thorough cleaning and dust mite-proofing measures to have a significant effect.

 

Condensation is a widespread problem. Cooking, showers and baths can all cause condensation, which in turn can contribute to damp and mold growth. A dehumidifier can help to reduce the effects of this in other rooms of the house.

 

Excess moisture can cause furniture and upholstery to harbor mildew. They can develop that characteristic ‘musty’ smell and feel slightly damp to the touch. A dehumidifier can help to prevent this. Remember if you have antique furniture or woodwork, be careful not to let the air get too dry. Air that’s too dry can cause woodwork to warp and crack. If you do notice something out of the norm with your HVAC system or air in your home, make sure to contact us so we can inspect it for you.

 

K&S has been your trusted Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical partner since 1988.

Count on our unmatched Experience and the Quality you know from K&S